Managing Fires in Alaska
AICC Current Fires Map of Alaska
- At certain periods during a fire season, wildfires can be so widespread, numerous, or burning so hot that they cannot be put out easily.
- Fire is a natural part of Alaska’s ecosystem. Many positive benefits of fire have been recognized.
- Fire-suppression efforts sometimes are more damaging than the wildfire.
Fire is a part of the natural environmental cycle as well as a potential destroyer of life, property, and resources.
In remote and unsettled areas, fires are monitored to assure they do not burn unchecked toward areas where human life or development could be threatened. This cooperative AICC plan is working well and has saved millions of local, state, and federal tax dollars.
- Find out more about fires in Alaska on our Fire Facts page
- Know your fire safety, learn more information on our Fire Safety page
- Learn more about smokey bear on our Smokey Page